The predicted impacts include:
- Pollution of sea water.
- Pollution of beaches and shoreline.
- Damage to Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).
- Damage to wildlife and the environment.
- Health risk to coastal residents and holiday makers.
The consequences include:
- Economic impact to agriculture and tourism economy.
- Closure of ports affecting movement of passengers and freight.
- Irreparable damage to coastal businesses.
What can you do?
- Co-operate with responding organisations during any clean-up operation
- If possible, volunteer time and resources to assist with the clean-up operation
- Avoid temptation to scavenge any cargo which has been washed-up, as this remains the property of the vessel owner