The predicted impacts include:
- Endangerment of life.
- Damage to property and the local area.
- Pollution of the local environment and water courses.
The consequences could include:
- Impact to UK oil and gas supplies.
- Economic impacts through damage to local businesses.
- Long term restoration and recovery of the local area.
- Contamination of crops and agricultural land.
What can you do?
- Be aware if you live near a hazardous site.If you hear warning of an incident, go indoors, close all your doors and windows and tune into BBC Radio (Essex 95.3FM of 103.5FM) for advice.
- This advice also applies in the event of a significant fire related smoke plume from any industrial site.