Fires have the potential to have a huge impact on our lives, whether those fires are in our homes, businesses or in premises nearby.
FIRES IN A BUILDING
There are many things that can cause a fire in the home, but here are a few of the more common causes:
- Accidents in the kitchen and faulty or poorly maintained equipment
- Faulty electrical appliances and wiring
- Smoking materials
- Heaters and fires
So what can you do?
- Install a smoke detector
- Test the batteries in your smoke detector every week
- Plan an escape route from your home, should the normal route from your home be blocked
- Keep window locks and door keys where everyone can find them
- Read the Fire Safety in the Home leaflet from Essex County Fire and Rescue Service
- In case of a fire, keep calm, get everyone out, stay out and call 999.
IF YOU ARE TRAPPED IN A FIRE