The predicted impacts could include:
- Damage to local agricultural economy.
- Mass cull/disposal of animal carcasses.
- Loss of livelihoods for farmers and farm workers.
- Health risks to farm workers.
The consequences could include:
- Long term psychological health impacts experienced by farmers.
- Increased food costs to consumers.
- Knock-on effect on tourism and other service industries (e.g. catering).
- Unrecoverable damage to businesses.
What can you do?
- Register any livestock that you own with DEFRA.
- If an outbreak is declared follow any guidance from the government to protect your livestock and limit the spread.
- Vaccinate livestock where possible.